Monday 14 December 2015

Math Measurement and a possible Christmas Holiday Event

Hello,

This morning, the students completed their Math Measurement tests. They worked very hard on this task (12 multiple choice questions and 2 short answer questions). I will return their work within the next few days, for review.

In Language, we worked on our Kidblog posts - after today, each student should have their "Acts of Kindess" and "Gettting to School" persuasive paragraphs completed and posted. If these posts are not finished, they should be completed for homework.

We also listed 10 Christmas-themed words that we find difficult to spell for this week's spelling sentences. This week's words are: Christmas, stockings, presents, reindeer, hot chocolate, calendar, Santa Claus, Advent Candle, ornament and lights, with a bonus word of Hanukkah. The students should also continue their daily reading, for 15-20 minutes each day.

This afternoon we completed our work with the hoppers in Science and continued to discuss our use of forces in the school.

Finally, I had an idea for something I would like to do for the kids, as an early Christmas present, if there is enough interest.

I would like to go to Landmark Theatres for the 11:00 am movie on Wednesday, December 23, 2015, and I would like you to join me!

I will pay for one ticket for each of my students. For supervision purposes, I would ask that each child has an adult with them at the show, either with each child coming with a parent, who will purchase their own ticket; or if you choose to organize a group of kids, one adult supervising the group of students they bring to the theatre.

I am planning on attending "The Force Awakens" but I see that the rating is not yet listed, and not all students will want to see this movie, so I would be happy to purchase tickets for students to watch "The Good Dinosaur", "The Peanuts Movie" or the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movie.

I understand that it is the holiday season and not everyone will be available to attend. Please let me know, in your child's agenda, if you would be interested in attending.

I will need to know which movie you would like to attend and how many tickets you will need. Then I will go to Landmark after school on Tuesday and ask about the process of buying tickets for a large group in advance.

I will purchase the tickets in advance, then ask you to reimburse me for any adult tickets (or for other children you want to bring as well). I will be buying tickets for morning shows on standard screens, so all tickets will cost $7.00 each.

Again, if it doesn't work out, it's not a problem. I just thought this would be a fun way to get our wonderful group together for a fun event during the holidays.

Have a great evening!

Mr. Skinner