Monday 18 January 2016

Static Electricity

Hello,

This morning I read a narrative called "The Fire Zenith" to the class. We discussed the problem in the story, how it was solved, and how dialogue was used to help tell the story.



Next, the students had an opportunity to read the narratives I gave them last week, and answer questions about their stories, as I moved around the room. The students should have their selected narrative read by the end of Language class tomorrow. They are encouraged to bring the books home and do some reading tonight.

In Math, we discussed different ways to collect data, and scales we can use for our graphs. We began to work on a final survey, tally chart and bar graph, which we will complete with a partner tomorrow. We also started to discuss sides and vertices, which will be part of the Geometry unit we are starting this week.

This afternoon, we watched a variety of commercials aimed at developing healthy eating habits. We discussed the products being advertised and the intended messages. The students will now be working in groups to create an advertisement for the health benefits of an existing product, an imaginary product, or a campaign encouraging overall healthy eating habits.

Finally, in Science, we discussed the research the students did on natural forces and then we used balloons to explore the concept of static electricity.

That's everything for our day, but I also wanted to let you know that there is a note coming home today, with all of the students, regarding some staffing changes.

I have been appointed as the vice-principal at St. Stephen School in Stittsville, effective February 2, 2016. I am very excited for this new leadership opportunity, but it unfortunately means that I will not be finishing the year as your child's Grade 3 teacher.

I will be replaced by Mr. St. Louis, who is currently a .25 permanent teacher at St. Anne. He will be taking over as the full-time permanent teacher for the class when I leave on February 2nd. The students will get the chance to meet Mr. St. Louis this week, and he and I have been meeting to ensure a smooth transition.

I will miss all of your children a great deal. I will enjoy each day of these last two weeks with them. Thanks so much for all of your support this year.

Mr. Skinner