Tuesday 15 September 2015

Making Connections

Hello,

This morning, we started the day by reading a poem about friendship, and discussed how readers can enjoy and further understand what they are reading by making connections.

We focused on making personal or text to self connections, where the reader connects ideas, events and themes in the story to their own personal experiences. After making personal connections to the poem on sticky notes, the students worked in groups to read a story about believing in your friends called "The Yesterday Stone". Next, they picked out important events and themes in the story and started to make personal connections to these events and themes. We will continue to work on this task tomorrow.

In Math, we finished our work on place value (if the students did not complete the second page, it is for homework). Then, we started to work on writing numbers out in words, with a focus on the numbers 1-20 and counting by tens from there (30, 40, 50, 60 etc.) We will continue to work on this skill tomorrow as well.

This afternoon, we began our Science unit on Structures. We discussed how a structure can be many things, both man-made and found in nature. We came to the conclusion that a structure can be anything that can support a load.

Next, we made plans to build a structure with groups of four students. The students made plans today, with the goal of building their structures on Thursday. They are welcome to bring materials from home. Don't worry if you don't have some of the materials they are searching for, they can always adapt their plans tomorrow.

Finally, the student information sheets went home today. If you could please review them, make any necessary changes, and return them, signed by both parents, by Friday, it would be much appreciated.

While I have met many of you briefly at the school, I look forward to seeing you at Wednesday's BBQ, if you are able to attend.

Sorry for being a little later than usual tonight. I had meetings before and after school and I am currently having my school computer updated, so I had to write this post at home, after I put my daughter to bed.

In case you are unable to meet me tomorrow night, and you want to know a little bit more about me, here is a profile that was written about me in the Ottawa Citizen, when I was fortunate enough to win a teaching award in 2006. I am very proud of the article, but it's intended audience is parents. If you are going to share it with your children, I suggest skipping the first few paragraphs.   


Have a great evening.

Mr. Skinner